Sheffield Local Optometric Committee

Sheffield LOC Meeting 13th April 2010

SLOC Minutes of the Meeting
Held on Tuesday 13 April 2010

Present: Phil Banton (PB), Helen Bailey (HB), Gerry Cowley (GC), Mike Daybell (MD) (Chair), Alex Gage, Sue Wilford (SW), Helen Wilkinson (HW), David Inman (DI),

Apologies Robert Hughes (RH) Ian Van Hoof (IVH), Shirley Blundell (SB)

Guest:
In attendence: Pascale Quercioli

Minutes of the last meeting

The minutes of the last meeting held on 12 January 10 were accepted, after minor corrections – Proposed (MD) – seconded (SW)

Matters arising

AWP – meeting set for 28th April arranged for LOCSU rep to be present
• Triage – MD indicated that the letter referred to in the last meeting was sent out, although most LOC members have not received it. MD to check with the PCT at the meeting on 22th April
• Triage: SW checked that it was fine for optoms to refer straight to RIS with no legal issues involved
• GC suggested that the list of actions listed on the form to fill in by PEARS optoms is not clear as to what comes under the scheme and what does not and that the form should be checked.

1. Response to Jeremy Wight’s letter
MD circulated the letter received from JW in response to his letter dated 21 February 10. PB commented that during a past meeting where himself and RH were present it had been said, although not minuted that optometrists would no longer be required to be involved in the scheme. This was despite the fact that LOC representatives had approved draft reports previously produced by an external body, and that optoms were happy with the final EQA report, a final decision was made to not involve the optoms; this decision triggered MD’s letter to the PCT. MD asks the LOC whether he should reply to the letter. A long discussion took place. It is felt that a response should be sent which MD will draft and circulate to all. Discussions took place on what should be done by optoms after the cameras are removed from the patient’s point of view. PB said that this would be covered in the next upcoming DSP meetings to be attended by him and, as RH will not be attending the next meeting, with AG if available. MD will also email J Soady and refer to the lack of paper records in this matter as no minutes from past meetings are available.

2. PEARS
A PEARS meeting is to take place on 22 April, which MD is attending. MD asked whether optoms were sending feedback to optoms. It is felt the paperwork is substantial and HB suggested the form can still be edited down. A discussion took place on the role of the RIS in the PEARS scheme. It is felt that all referrals should go through the RIS. All commented that all RIS referrals produce a very long 8 pages paper document which is not necessary; it is agreed to ask that all referrals should be emailed as most PEARS registered optoms are on the NHS net, and faxed through to those not in the NHS network. If a referral is emailed and no reply has been received on that day, should the RIS refer to another optom? GC referred to a LOCSU brief referring to data protection for patients. It is agreed to register the LOC (GC) with the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO). There were some discussions on numbers of triage going through PEARS practices as some days are very busy

Correspondence
None

Any Other Business

• David Shepherd attended the meeting to invite the LOC members to the SRSB 150th anniversary celebration on 17th September at 19.30 at the Omega Restaurant. LOC members to let David Shepherd know if they will attend.

• Should we invite pharmacists to one of our meetings: DI to contact them to test their interest and if so to invite them to the next meeting.

• Nothing to report on glaucoma and cataract meetings.

• 25 June is the AGM – PQ to finalise invitations with MD

Date for next meeting: AGM – Monday 17 May 2010
Beauchief Hotel – Abbeydale Road

« Back to the archives

Next Meeting:

Holiday Inn hotel,
Blonk St
Sheffield
S1 2AB

at 7.30 pm Tues 1st Aug

Mailing List

Join our mailing list