Sheffield Local Optometric Committee

Sheffield Loc meeting 17th December 2012

Sheffield Local Optical Committee

SLOC Minutes of the meeting

Held: Monday 17th December 2012

Present: James Allen (JA), Helen Bailey (HB), Gerry Cowley (GC), Mike Daybell (MD), Rob Hughes (RH – Chair), Deb Mullens (DM), Habib Shah (HS), Sue Wilford (SW), Azad Nawaz (AN), Helen Wilkinson (HW),

Attendees: Louise Lambert (LL) (Minutes)

Apologies: Shirley Blundell (SB), Tan Hussain (TH), Alastair Mew (AM) Richard Oliver (RO), Susan Wilford (SW)

Just before the meeting started, MD informed the group that he had provisional booked two restaurants for the Annual Meal on the 15th January 2013

Minutes of the last meeting

After some minor amendments the minutes of the last meeting were accepted as a correct record. Proposed by Helen and seconded by AN

Matters Arising

1. Stop Smoking Service

Claire Holden, Service Manager for the Stop Smoking Service introduced herself and offered a background to the service. She also presented each member of the committee an information pack containing leaflets and cards literature.

Claire acknowledge the input of Phil Banton on the eye disease leaflet, contained within the pack, enquiring if it was still relevant, the pack is due for redistribution in January 2013.

Claire highlighted some statics, reporting that Sheffield was in line with the national average of smokers 21.5%. Cost of smoking within the region of £9500K (hundred thousand) loss t to industry, including absences costing billions, the cost to the environment in relation to deforestation and litter.

The service objective is to support the smokers. Nicotine being the addictive however the behaviour is more difficult to break. The presentation highlighted various support aids and medication that can be accessed without GP involvement through the pharmacists, involving a prescription fee.

The group discussed the professional best practice regarding advising client to stop smoking. The majority of patients are unaware of the link between smoking and eye disease, such as dehydration and dry eye. Concerns were raised about time restraints and possibly damaging the relationship, Claire expressed that that research implied the opposite effect. Claire recognised that it could be a sensitive conversation.
Action: Claire to send DM Myth busting leaflet

Claire explained the prevention intervention approach – AAA; Ask, Advise and Act. Some community optometrists do record the smoking status of patients. Claire suggested that even if patients are resistant to stopping, this would suggest they are not in the right frame of mind. With 30 seconds intervention, introduction of the idea can increase the quality and life expectancy of patients.

There are 70/75 advisors situated across the city in practices. There is a high percentage of users in deprivation areas, such as Gleadless and Darnall. A “Quit stop” in the city centre, opposite Vincent Streets which is accessible weekdays, including late access on Wednesday and Saturday. Each year the service has achieved its targets. This year the service is currently achieving 200K quitters, with its target being 300K. 7 out of 10 clients who use the service end up quitting.

Claire enquired if any of the committee had received the stop smoking leaflets, cards or booklets, which are free. There are also some posters which can be placed within the practice. She also confirmed that a small fee of £6.65 is paid for successful referrals.
Action: Claire to provide a sample of literature to committee.
Action: DM to update website accordingly.

RH enquired how the NHS transition has/is affecting the service. Claire explained that the commissioners had moved to the local council and only assumptions can be made about the future of the Stop smoking service and how the council works.

The group discussed centres within dentist practices; Claire reasoned that along with pharmacy, dentistry was thought to be a more obvious setting. Should optometrist be interested it was queried if there was any possibility of putting centres within optometry practices. The first assessment takes 20 minutes with 30 minute, weekly follow up appointments over the course of 4 weeks. £5.00 is paid for a quit date with a further £38 to be confirmed. The group spoke further about different approaches and aspects of the programme.

Claire left the meeting at 8.20pm

2. Community glaucoma monitoring (paper attached)

It has become apparent that at least 3 patients have been discharged into the community. The last official position was that scheme would not proceed. The group discussed whether to set the scheme officially and the conflicting methods being communicated, it was queried if they should address the issue with the consultant discharging into the community or with Simon Longstaff.
Action: Richard Oliver to advise who should approach consultant discharging into the community

There was a lengthy discussion on tonometry equipment and the pathways. It was felt that there was a need for specific guidelines around fields and target pressure. Only monitor IOP (intra-ocular pressure) anything else needs to be referred back into hospital. Discharged glaucoma patients, if released into the community should be referred back to be seen as new patients.

The group concluded that there needs to be a scheme that all the consultants are in favour off, not a conflicting approach.
Action: Set up a meeting with Simon Longstaff
Action: RH to review the Bradford scheme

3. Future meetings

Action: DM to email future dates round the group

4. Update on Peer review

JA offered an update to the group indicating that 11 responses had been received from an expression of interest email he sent out yesterday. Within the responses optometrist are stating when qualified and their initial workplace.
Action: JA to resend email to HB

A suggested venue was the Rutland hotel with an attendance cost around £40. It was suggested that SLOC could invite neighbouring LOC such as Rotherham and the group appeared happy to merge the event.
Action: JA to liaise with Trevor Walker.

Timescales where discussed, Facilitator require training and input needs to be obtained from LOCSU suggesting initial small review to start with. It was suspected to be at least March before the larger planned event. JA informed the group that he was aware of two optometrist facilitators who could attend the event but they charge £100 per session. Trevor Walker suggested that potentially needing more the two facilitators per table.

Peers review evening should be put through fees.

MD left at 8.55hrs

The group further discussed training members of the committee to become facilitators.

HB and GC left 9pm.

1. Future PEARS optometrists

The group discussed WOPEC training. New PEARS optometrists have to do glaucoma training, refresher training every 3 year online. Communication via NHS Mail

The group discussed the OSCE station exams, the cost of which was £100 per head.

2. Risks of ocular adverse effects with bisphosphonate treatment

The group reviewed the paper provided by David Inman

Action: Paper to be distributed and placed on website.

3. Any other business

a. Committee

RH gave the committee advance notice that come AGM he will not be re-standing for the position of Chair.

JA also informed the group that once the Peer review is sorted he will also need to revaluate his time, expecting new baby in May 2013, so therefore cannot take on any additional actions/projects.

5. Date of next meeting;

Tuesday 5th February 2013

Meeting Finished 9.10pm

Amendments to last minutes – FDT training to specific for Glaucoma, amendment to minutes. Item 6.

« Back to the archives

Next Meeting:

Copthorne Hotel
Bramall Lane
Sheffield
S2 4SU

at 7.00pm Monday 4th December

Mailing List

Join our mailing list