Sheffield Local Optometric Committee

Sheffield LOC Meeting 17th May 2010

SLOC Minutes of the Meeting
Held on Monday 17 May 2010

Present: Phil Banton (PB), Shirley Blundell (SB), Gerry Cowley (GC), Mike Daybell (MD), Robert Hughes (chair) (RH), Sue Wilford (SW), Helen Wilkinson (HW)

Guest: S Haigh (SH), Azad Nawaz, Aftab Rahim
In attendence: Pascale Quercioli

1. Apologies Ian Van Hoof (IVH), Helen Bailey (HB), Richard Oliver (RO)

2. Minutes of the last meeting
The minutes of the last meeting held on 13 April 2010 were accepted, after minor corrections – Proposed (GC)– seconded (MD)

3. Matters arising
• Alex Gage will replace Rob Hughes as LOC representative on the DESP committee

4. PEARS
An email was received from the RIS detailing capacity issues in some areas of Sheffield. The RIS has been asked to try to distribute the referrals as much as patient choice will allow. SW suggested that practices under pressure should alert the RIS and contact them again when the pressure is off. The problems should ease when more PEARS optometrists are trained. A further PEARS training session is planned for July 2010.

There are capacity issues with triage following an increase in the number of GOS18’s going through the RIS. It is felt that there should be a daily maximum number of referrals to go to each triaging optometrist. Any referrals exceeding this will be sent to a second triaging optometrist. SH to report back to the RIS in the hope to start with a cut off point of 20 patients.

5. PCTs complaints – request for audit letter
The PCT is requesting each practice to send an audit of NHS patient complaints. SW commented that practices might not be obliged to send this information and will seek guidance from the College of Optometrists about this matter.

6. Paediatric update
Covered in the preceding AGM – refer to the AGM minutes on the website.

7. Correspondence
• Letter received from “Rethink” – carers week in June – Anyone interested should contact RH.
• Letter received from pharmacists to make contact. Pharmacists to be invited along to the next meeting. PB to contact the LPC

8. Any Other Business
• Glaucoma and cataract – nothing to report. SH to check out why no response has been received from RH last request.
• Diabetes – The reconfigured screening process is due to start this autumn. No news on the cameras.
• A decision needs to be made on the Central fund and what LOC pays for. GC to find out and report
• The committee officially welcomes 3 new members to SLOC Habib Shah, Tanneer Hussain and Azad Nawaz. Proposed RH – seconded SW.

Date for next meeting: Tuesday 29 June 2010 at 7.30 Meeting closed at 9.45

« Back to the archives

Next Meeting:

Copthorne Hotel
Bramall Lane
Sheffield
S2 4SU

at 7.00pm Monday 4th December

Mailing List

Join our mailing list