Sheffield Local Optometric Committee

Sheffield LOC Meeting 27 June 2006

Minutes of Sheffield LOC
Held on 27th June 2006

Present: David Timmins, David Shepherd, Rob Hughes, Will Walters, Sue Stentiford, Jon Stokes, Alex Gage.

In attendance: Christine Hagin

Apologies: Jon Whittle, Gerry Cowley

  1. Minutes of the last meeting
    The minutes of the last meeting held on 24th April 2006 were accepted as a correct record.
  1. Matters arising
    (i) Children’s Eye Care: nothing further to report. The response to the mail out of the proposal for a Care Pathway, to all Sheffield optoms was good. 23 optoms are interested in the scheme and the committee felt this was a sufficient response for city wide coverage. It was agreed that Gerry Cowley and Shirley Blundell would be asked to do a presentation to the OJPG. Jon Stokes is going to email them.
    (ii) Diabetic Eye Screening: Uptake targets are being met. There will be a full audit at the end of the 1st 12 months. By December 2007 100% of patients must be offered screening. It is expected that the uptake will be 75%.
    (iii) Ophthalmology Joint Planning Group: Direct referral – Mike Nelson is going to come back with proposals. There is a possibility there will be a directory of services. Jon Stokes is to email a draft of a direct referral form which may replace the GOS18 to committee members for their comments. Committee commented on the direct referral pathway for glaucoma. It is working well. This response will be fed back to Simon Longstaff and Mary Freeman by Jon Stokes.
    (iv) Low Vision Group: David Shepherd is to work out the costings for running a pilot scheme. There was a good response to the letters sent out to all optoms asking if they would be interested in participating in a low vision scheme. It was suggested that optoms on the scheme would have 25 low vision aids with more complicated aids being supplied by the hospital. It was suggested by Jon Stokes that the LOC committee may invest in purchasing several sets of the aids required to help the PCT in initiating this scheme.
    (v) Primary Care Trust: The PCT’s are set to merge on the 1st October 2006. There are going to be new PEC positions available and these will be going to interview. The LOC will push for an optom to be part of PEC. Jon Stokes is going to write to Professor Witney to find out more information on how to do this.
    (vi) Website: All minutes are now on the website. Jon Stokes is still imputing referral guidelines. Alex Gage suggested the possibility of having private referral information on the website for a small fee. Jon Stokes asked the committee if they thought the LOC accounts should be on the website. Rob Hughes suggested that if any optoms wanted to see the accounts they can request a copy. It was decided that this information should be freely available on request to relevant parties.
  1. Correspondence
    1. Request from Laura Christie, See Ability. Laura would like to come and talk to the committee regarding patients with low vision impairment and learning disabilities. Laura wants to discuss with the committee a questionnaire that could be used to help optometrists perform an eye examination and also encourage patients with LD to attend for regular eye examinations. The questionnaire is to include a list of optoms who are willing and able to see these people. Committee agreed to this. Jon Stokes is to speak to Laura and set up a date for this.
  1. Any Other Business
    1. Sheffield is to have a practice based GP consortium. A letter is to be sent to the manager of consortium offering the services of optoms for referrals for ophthalmology. The committee agreed that Sue Stentiford as chair of the LOC committee would be the best person to send this letter.
    2. Just qualified Pre Reg’s: the committee agreed it would be good to get the pre reg’s along to the LOC committee meetings. Sue Stentiford suggested that the pre reg’s could take the minutes. Sue is to invite the pre reg’s from her practice to the next meeting.
    3. Date for next meeting:
    Tuesday 8th August 2006, at the Rutland Arms, Brown Street at 7.00pm.

« Back to the archives

Next Meeting:

Holiday Inn hotel,
Blonk St
Sheffield
S1 2AB

at 7.30 pm Tues 1st Aug

Mailing List

Join our mailing list