Sheffield Local Optometric Committee

Sheffield LOC Meeting 29 April 2008

Present: Helen Bailey, Shirley Blundell Gerry Cowley, Mike Daybell, Alex Gage, Robert Hughes Sue Stentiford (Chair), Ian Van Hoof, Will Walters.

In attendance: Pascale Quercioli

Guests (from the AGM meeting): Aysha Ahmed, Iftab Ikram and David Timmins for part of the meeting.

Apologies: Phil Banton, David Inman, Jon Stokes

Minutes of the last meeting

The minutes of the last meeting held on Tuesday 4th March 2008 were accepted as a correct record. Proposed Alex Gage – Seconded Will Walters

Matters arising

I. Triage proposals: Mike Daybell reported that the project is proceeding although work still needs to be done on training with STHFT. A business case is now been prepared by the PCT. The PCT is using an external commissioner (AETNA) to write out their ophthalmology business case. Mike is to meet shortly with Hallam & West Consortia. Training still needs to be resolved. Replies from the questionnaires sent out to practices interested in taking place in the triage have been received and have been collated. Mike felt that another more detailed questionnaire specifically requiring top topics might be useful and asked the members opinion, or should he send to Mike Nelson the results of the original questionnaire with the original collated answers? GPs from the consortium are to write to STH regarding the training they would require for the proposal to go ahead. Some discussion took place on the 5 years experience quoted on the questionnaire which exclude newly qualified Optoms (guests present at the meeting), and it is felt that 2/3 years experience might suffice. Top 6 topics should be listed in a new questionnaire is required under management detection treatment. Mike will discuss sending a new questionnaire out at his meeting. 17 practices are involved.

II. Glaucoma Referral Refinement: No figures have been received from Linda at the PCT in the last few months. Sue and Mike are working on this. It was commented that the presentations of the lectures were very good.

III. Children’s Eye Care: No progress to be reported. Alex and Mike met with Kay Logan, who works in practice based commissioning at the PCT. Alex recommends that the subject be brought up again at the next SLOC meeting. The SLOC should continue to promote the scheme. Alex is to invite Richard Oliver, a GP who is the Chair of the PEC at the PCT at the next SLOC meeting – PQ to make Children’s Eye Care first on the agenda.

IV. Diabetic Eye Screening: Last meeting scheduled 2 weeks ago was cancelled so external audit reports are not yet known. Will reported that Boots at Meadowhall had stopped screening. Alex Gage practice is being visited sometime in May by the PCT during a screening. The referral letter has been re-phrased to avoid patient’s confusion.

V. Ophthalmology Joint Planning Group: STH has indicated that they do not wish to continue with these meetings as the group has no authority, but they are prepared to attend meetings with the SLOC if there are specific relevant topics to discuss. Kay Logan (Sheffield PCT) and OJPG chair, formally dissolved the committee.

VI. Low Vision Group: Nothing to report

VII. Primary Care Trust: No change other than Alex and Mike have met with Kay Logan, at Sheffield PCT (see III)

VIII. Website: Alex dealing with the website. Alex planning to get all optoms emails addresses to put on the website to look to improve the email list on the website. He will update the contact email address as his own. Alex will also contact Greg to remove the password access and update the details of new chairperson, secretary and treasurer.

Correspondence

None

Any Other Business

Rob Hughes suggested that instead of optoms queries be emailed to Chris Brand, there should be a general email address for STH to ask general optom business. Mike Daybell to check with Jon Stokes.

Clinical Governance: Sue explained that a lengthy questionnaire has gone out to all practices. The likely outcome would be that no money is made available to optoms to respond. David Inman is currently making practice visits and all optoms should be made aware of this. A letter has been drafted by the AOP explaining that optoms are under no obligation to fill in the questionnaire and it is felt that SLOC should do the same. Sue will email Pascale with standard letter and Pascale to mail out to all practices.

Date for next meeting:

Tuesday 17 June 2008,
Beauchief Hotel – Abbeydale Road at 7.30pm

Meeting closed at 9.15

« Back to the archives

Next Meeting:

Copthorne Hotel
Bramall Lane
Sheffield
S2 4SU

at 7.00pm Monday 4th December

Mailing List

Join our mailing list